- Fixturing & Advanced CAM - December 10-11, 2020
December 10, 2020 - December 11, 2020
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
This two-day, hands-on class is focused on workholding, fixturing & Advanced CAM. We will discuss work holding strategies and methods, learn how to control and use 3D finishing strategies, and apply what was learned through the programming and machining of a fixture plate and bottle opener project. Each attendee will leave the class with a small bottle opener fixture and a bottle opener that you machine in the class.
Workholding & Fixturing:
- Overview of workholding strategies
- Review and discussion of 50+ fixture examples including soft jaws, fixture plates, Mitee-Bite, Carr-Lane and other workholding and fixturing tools
- Discussion of workholding strategy, including balance of time, cost, fixture life, process reliability and setup time.
- Fixturing Best Practices (marking fixtures, swap-able, keeping soft jaws in pairs)
- 3D toolpaths
- Advanced toolpath containment
- Rest Machining
- 4th Axis and 3+2 Machining
- Programming CAM to machine fixture and bottle opener
- Machining fixture plate and bottle opener using HAAS or Tormach CNC machines.
- NOTE: Students must have prior HAAS experience or have attended the 3-day Hands On CNC class in order to use the HAAS machines.
Instructors: Kevin Ellingson
PREREQUISITES: Must be comfortable using Fusion 360 CAD and CAM.